Positive psychology is a branch of psychology that comprises of scientific studies and effective interventions for the achievement of a happy and contented life. It is the scientific process through which individuals and communities thrive for happiness. It focuses on the person’s needs, desires, feelings rather than treating their mental illness. It is based on the theory that everyone wants to lead a happy, contented, meaningful life to bring out what is best for them and to enhance their abilities and experiences.
Positive psychology is the study of happiness, psychology is based on treating mental illness, and psychological problems in persons, etc. it never looked upon their interests, happiness. In contrast, Positive psychology focuses on ordinary people happiness and interests and tackles persons accordingly.
The principal motive of positive psychology is correcting the imbalance in one’s life by progressing in this field while working on the notions of emotion, suffering, need, etc. using a positive approach. Positive psychology commits personal wellness by highlighting the ways to acquire positive emotions, positive environment, positive experiences, etc. Other than these, positive psychology aims to engage and relate people in happy, relaxing activities through creativity and prodess, mindfulness, flow of emotions, etc.
Approaches used in positive psychology:
There are usually two types of approaches used in positive psychology:
This approach suggests that various neurological systems relate to the concepts and findings of positive psychology. This approach works with brain scans, neuroplasticity and various other methods to find the brain parts involved in functioning to strive for happiness by eliminating negative emotions and feelings from within one’s self.
It offers an alternative perspective to the understanding of happiness and quality life.
This approach focuses on finding what brain parts are involved in human through which they distinguish between positive and negative thoughts, feelings and sad or happy states of mind. After understanding this, the evolutionary biologists then diagnose the problems and suggest the best possible ways to cure the problems and making their patients happy and contented.
Advantages of positive psychology:
- Positive psychologists strive to make people happy through various therapies
- It focuses on personal happiness and contentment to make them able to work and perform well at school and work
- It enables people maintaining their social relationships, statuses and enjoying good health
- By keeping them happy and contented with what they have, make them flourish in every field of life by performing lively at every occasion
- Polishes character of an individual
- Serves a route to satisfied life
- Teach people to lead a good life
- Infuses positive emotions in oneself by neglecting negativeness in their life
- Proves a delicate art of pursuing happiness
- People learn to develop optimism, gratitude and altruism through positive psychology briefings.